There are a few different ways a homeowner can become a Board Member. Homeowners may be:
- elected during a community meeting.
- Elections can occur at an annual meeting.
- Elections can occur when a community transitions from Developer control to Homeowner control.
- appointed to fill a vacancy.
- In the event of a board vacancy, the Governing Documents outline the procedure for filling that position.
- appointed to a transition board by the Declarant.
- In preparation for a transition from Developer control to Homeowner control, the Declarant will often appoint a transition board to ease the transition. This is dependent on the developer and community situation.
While there are many ways to get on the board, homeowners should always check the Governing Documents, specifically the Bylaws, which will outline the procedure for their specific community.